Perfect on tortilla wraps, stirred into scrambled eggs or served as a campfire dip. Grill some baguette and you’ve a South American-style bruschetta. Here’s our version to celebrate Farmers’ Market Week Nova Scotia.
East Coast Glampers Black Bean & Corn Salsa:
- 2 ears of grilled market corn, nibs cut off the cob
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 scallions, sliced fine (the market green onions were generous in size so we used one, both white and a little green)
- cilantro, chopped (stems have the best flavour) or chopped fresh basil or go crazy and use both
- 1 tin black beans, drained and rinse
- garlic, 1-2 cloves minced to taste
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. chilli oil or olive oil
- Gently peel back husks to end of the ear of corn.
- Remove silk and then soak ears of corn in salted water for 10 mins.
- Rub cobs with a little butter, S&P and close husks over the cobs.
- Grill cobs 15-20 mins. until nicely charred and cooked. Cool and remove nibs from cobs.
- Simply combine all the prepared ingredients. Seal in a reusable container (and pop in a ziplock for extra cooler safety).
- Serve chilled. Best used within 3 days.
Camping Tip: If cooler space is tight, plan a menu that incorporates this salsa into a couple of meals.